Thursday

Save smokers but kill babies

I read this a few moments ago on Yahoo News:

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer Jim Abrams, Associated Press Writer – 23 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Congress struck the government's strongest anti-smoking blow in decades Thursday with a Senate vote to give regulators new power to limit nicotine in cigarettes, drastically curtail ads and ban candied tobacco products aimed at young people.

Cigarette foes say the changes could cut into the 400,000 deaths every year caused by smoking and reduce the $100 billion in annual health care costs linked to tobacco.


And for some reason I began to think along the lines of how the left would respond to arguments that we should leave smokers alone. I DO think we should leave smokers alone actually, but my point is the response from the left.

They would argue that we are saving some of those 400,000 people who die from cancer, and indeed we probably would. But in the back of my mind I am thinking of the left's reponse when we pro-lifers argue against their holy sacrament of abortion.

"Those children are often unwanted and uncared for and we shouldn't bring them into the world!"

Sound familar?

Maybe we should argue that smokers are largely unwanted and uncared for, and we should let 'em go ahead and poison themselves!

Let it be clearly understood that a) I'm not a smoker, but b) I abhor the anti-smoker bias that our culture has adopted these days. If you want to smoke (as long as I'm not forced to smell it - like on a plane) then go right ahead.

No comments: