Sunday

The demonization of gun-owners continues

I spent much of my day yesterday running errands that I don’t have the time to do during the work week. On several occasions I saw the guns banned symbol on business entrances as I walked in.

One of them was at a bank where I have an account. As I transacted my business at the counter I was sorely tempted to ask if the guns-banned sign on the entrance made them any safer, or if it just made them FEEL safer. I elected not to say anything because in today’s atmosphere, even the question might bring down the SWAT team on your head!

I had too much to do to take a ride in a police car!

One of my errands involved following my wife to the car dealership to get her car serviced. I stood there silently while she conferred with the service rep and did the obligatory reams of paperwork. As we were nearly finished the rep took a large rubber stamp and endorsed the front of the service order.

“Mrs GunRights, I need you sign here just assuring us there is no gun in the vehicle.”

As you can imagine I virtually leaped out of my skin!

“Say what?” I burst out.

“Um, yes sir. We had an incident recently involving a gun that went off in a car we were servicing.”

“Well boy, I’d sure like to hear THAT story” says I.

The service rep then tells me that had a customer who was a real hurry to go out of town on an emergency and they were scurrying around to get his vehicle in and out of the shop as quickly as possible. During the rush the customer apparently left a loaded firearm behind in the car. The rep didn’t know if it was a handgun, rifle, or what. (I got the impression he wouldn’t have known the difference between a BB gun and a bazooka!)

And here’s the “punch line”:

Says the rep: “As the technician drove the car around back, and into the service bay, he rolled over a speed bump and the gun just went off!”

I burst out laughing and replied “that’s the story he told ya’ll, and apparently y’all believed it! Guns don’t ‘just go off’. Somebody or something MUST have pulled the trigger.”

The service rep couldn’t have cared less from the look on his face. But I can surmise that it’s more likely the gun-ignorant technician was rummaging around in the customer’s car, found the gun, and with supreme ignorance as the catalyst, pulled the trigger “just to see”.

Naturally he had to lie to keep his job, and the easiest thing to do was to just repeat the same lie found in the media all the time:

“…and the gun just went off!”

Pfffffff!

[rolling eyes, shaking head]

No comments: