Monday

Once upon a time at the firing range

Once upon a time, there was a man named GunRights4US, and he was a Marine guarding the US embassy in Kingston Jamaica. He and his fellows were armed with Uzi submachine guns, Remington 870P riot shotguns, and .38 revolvers.

One day the Gunny came in and said load up all the ammo in the truck and let’s head to the Jamaican police firing range.

“All the ammo Gunny?”

“That’s right boys. I said ALL of it.”

So we heaved-ho into the truck with all our goodies and trucked it out to the range. I no longer remember how many rounds of .38 we had. And I don’t remember how many shotgun shells we had. But one number sticks in my head, and that’s the 6,000 rounds of 9 mm ammo!

We had fresh stocks of ammo inbound from the big PX back stateside, and it was necessary to shoot up all the “old” stuff.

I remember being darned tired of loading magazines. And I remember one of the few times in my life I was actually ready to quit shooting. And I have a vague memory of a goat wandering into the firing line down near the targets, and observing as the bullet streams from no less than three Uzi’s were redirected onto the poor creature.

Ahhh those were the days!

Here's a picture taken that very day.

3 comments:

The Other Mike S. said...

I've read stories similar to that in the past - when the new ammo is coming in, the old stuff has to be all used up.

I never understood that, but there's little about government that makes sense to me!

GunRights4US said...

It was a fun day that's for sure!

Ryan said...

Seems like that would be a fun day. I have had a couple of those "we've got to shoot it all" days and they are enjoyable.