Friday

Reflections on Veterans Day

Do not misconstrue anything I am about to say here as being about ME. I am simply using my own experience as anecdotal evidence to support a point I wish to make.

My service as a Marine can easily be pointed to as a defining aspect of my character. Simply put: I have been Corps-ized. The pride I have in being a Marine is so pervasive in me that it positively oozes from every pore of my skin. I number the date I graduated from Parris Island as being among the most memorable days of my life; easily ranking with the birthdates of my children or the date I was married to my wife of nearly thirty years. It is not uncommon for me, when dealing with strangers, for them to say something like “you were in the service, weren’t you?”. And while I may criticize the Corps to others who wore its uniform; I will not tolerate criticism from those who did not.

Yesterday was Veterans Day. If you are a Veteran of the US armed forces, it is my sincere hope that someone walked up to you and said Thank You for your service.

That did not happen to me yesterday. I reached the end of a very long workday (12 hours in fact), and I came into contact with many people who know me and are well aware that I am a Marine. Yet the only mention that was made to me about the specialness of the Day, or about my service to my country, came from a cousin on Facebook. Again…this isn’t about me in the least. It is an observation made of how many people who consider themselves patriotic, yet can’t remember to thank the veterans that are all around them.

As a side note let me point out that it’s NOT a job, or an adventure – it’s service. Service to the nation with very little expectation of much in return. A serviceman writes a blank check to his country, payable for an amount that is up to and including his life. Doesn’t that deserve a “Thank You” at the very least?

May God bless our servicemen and women, and God bless the Republic.

GunRights4US
USMC
1978 - 1985

8 comments:

David III said...

3 People unknown to me thanked me for my service.... many others who I do know thanked me.... This is the first time this has ever happened since I got out in 98! Something is changing the dynamic, perhaps they recognize that we will be the ones to fight the coming tyranny?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your service and that of the website.

Your page is the first I go to throughout the day to see if useful links have updated.

All the best,

Cory Adams

GunRights4US said...

Thank you for your kind comment Cory. It's much appreciated.

I sure am sorry the site's content of late has been lackluster, but life's demands of earning a living (and being sick as hell recently) have taken their toll on my blogging efforts.

idahobob said...

Yup. Someone very near and dear to me thanked me for my service.

Quite a bit of difference from back in 1968, after returning from S.E. Asia, when some very foolish people attempted to spit upon me, as I was clad in my Class "A" uniform.

Bob
III

Toaster 802 said...

Semper Fi, Devil Dog. Happy Birthday and Merry Veterans day!

Paradise Island, F company, 2076 series...1985

First company to be issued the A2. Man, did we clean up on the rifle range. But we failed every white glove inspection because the park was coming off the weapons like crazy. The more you cleaned them, the crappier the inspection.

Thanks for the memories and a great blog Marine.

GunRights4US said...

Hey Toaster - Semper Fi right back ya, and thanks for the comments.

Sandflea Hell, 1st Bn B Co. Plt 1086, Oct - Dec 1978.

Those Mattel toys suck. I'll take an M1A any day!

Hey Bob, I hope you kicked those spitting hippy's asses!

idahobob said...

Like I said, "some very foolish people".

They were not trying to spit with those split faces for quite a while.

Sometimes, handing out a good, old fashioned, ass woopin', just plain feels good!

Bob
III

tjbbpgobIII said...

From one old paratroper to one old Marine, welcome home and thanks for your service. I got one thank you from a niece and one from my wife. thats all but thats ok with me, I'm not a professional veteran anyway.