Thursday

On guns in the workplace - my personal experience

Now it could be said that I have a lot of bad habits. But one GOOD habit I’ve managed to cultivate is that I regularly carry my pistol. I carry everywhere, and all the time. The first thing I do in the morning is put on my pistol, and the last thing I do at night is take if off and lay it on my night table. I had some things happen in my life that I needed to have a weapon, and I made the decision that I would never be caught without one. The only places I won’t go without a firearm are places with metal detectors, and if I can avoid those places – I do.

A little over six years ago I landed my dream job. I plan to remain there until I retire, or they run me off. Unfortunately they have a written policy against guns in the workplace. Hmmm….what to do. I went to each of the two partners whose company it is, and I laid my CWP down in front of them and asked “Is this okay with you?” My thought was that the policy was really only for liability purposes in today’s litigious business climate. Well I got the nod from both men, and I carried in the office just like I would anywhere else.

Now roll the clock forward about 4 years. Ours is a shirt & tie workplace and I’ve settled on an ankle holster as my workplace carry rig. Every Monday morning, as regularly as the sun rises, we have a manager’s meeting in a big conference room. The room is arranged with the tables in a circular pattern that will seat about 15 people. The unintentional effect of this table arrangement allows the gents across from you to see your feet and legs.

On one particular morning after the meeting was concluded the junior partner approaches me as I’m getting my coffee. The conversation goes like this:

Boss: “Umm …Have you been in some trouble or something? Is there something you want to tell me?”

Me: “No… nothing to tell Chief. What are you talking about?”

Boss: “Well when I was in the meeting I noticed something on your leg. What is that?”

[The light suddenly dawned: he thought it was a court-issued monitor anklet!]

Me: “That’s a pistol”

Boss: “WHAT!”

Me: “Yeah it’s a pistol – a .40 pistol, are you gonna have a problem with that?”

I made up my mind right then and there that I was not going to back up and compromise my principals, even for the sake of my dream job. Let’s see where this goes says I.

Boss: “Umm, well, umm, uhhh, well….I guess um …I guess if I ever um, ever have to fire you I’ll do it by …um, phone or email. No…there’s no problem. But why do feel it necessary to carry a gun? What are you scared of?”

Me: “First of all, I carry cause it’s my God-given right to do so! Secondly, I’m not scared of a damn thing BECAUSE I carry.”

I then went on to relate to him the incidents that I alluded to earlier in this post. (I’ll save those for a future blog entry) I also emphasized that only someone who intended to do me harm had anything to fear from me, and that in fact the office and its staff are far safer by having an armed “me” around! He reluctantly agreed with both of those points.

The bottom line is: I will NOT be disarmed!

Stayed tuned boys and girls and I’ll soon post the story of WHY I carry religiously. You’re gonna enjoy it I’m sure.

16 comments:

Stealth said...

I have a CWP too. I think people should be more concerned about all the people who carry a pistol WITHOUT a permit. I love how liberals think that making guns illegal will lower crime rates...because you KNOW someone who is planning on killing someone (which is illegal) or robbing a bank (also illegal) or __________ (fill in the blank with a crime) is going to say to themselves, "Damn it...guns are illegal now so I better use a baseball bat or an axe."

CorbinKale said...

It seems to me that paying a fee and begging another man for permission to exercise a Right that "shall not be infringed" is in direct conflict with my Oath to support and defend the Constitution.

I qualify for a CWP, but I refuse to compromise my Oath.

GunRights4US said...

Today I share that view. Fifteen years ago when I got the CWP I was not as wise as I am today. And obviously there ain't no going back.

idahobob said...

In our state, we have open carry. Along with myself, everyone that I know, carries openly.

CWP just puts you on another data base list.

Screw 'em.

Bob
III

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you have a reasonable boss. I carry everywhere but work, have to leave the gun in the car.

GunRights4US said...

Glad to "see you" here Hermit. Thanks for stopping by.

Whisk E. Rebellion said...

That does sound like a dream job...

I followed the link here from Hermit's.

GunRights4US said...

Glad to have you Whisk. Btw,I love the moniker!

tom said...

GotaBeUSMC

I'm not concerned about people that carry without a permit. I've done it many times. Used to be in the USA, many places WOULD NOT ALLOW YOU a permit and I refused to be disarmed. Some places are the same to this day. I'm civil disobedient on that issue.

Texas CHL doesn't work a lot of places that are a hell of a lot more dangerous than where I live in Texas, on average.

I don't think anybody should need a permit, truthfully. If you can't be trusted with a firearm in public you should be serving a custodial sentence in the prison or lunatic asylum of your choice. Problem solved.

I put a .45 to an attempted mugger's head in Chicago once. Got the misdemeanor (back then it wasn't a felony) conviction on my record for unlawful concealed carry to prove it and I likely spent more money on lawyers than the mugger did and they stole a nice custom .45 "to be destroyed by the state" and asked me not to come back to Chicago so I haven't been back. I won't go back until they offer reciprocals on licenses. And we're back to "I shant ever be able to see a reason why I should need a license to exercise my 2A privs..."

Only real rational reason for me to get a Texas CHL was because it bypasses dealing with FBI NICS every time you buy something if you don't wish to carry a FFL.

The Other Mike S. said...

Here in the SF Bay Area it is virtually impossible to get a permit. We're looking to move to some nearly "shall issue" counties in the Sierra foothills to fix that (no, we can't leave CA.... yet).

I have a UT non-resident permit, so I can carry in 30+/- states.

I edge up to the CA laws by having a firearm near me at almost all times using a small locked case. It won't help if I get jumped, but I'd have it available in 20 seconds or so.

I know, that could be a very costly delay...

Stealth said...

TOM...I should have been more clear in my comment. I was referring to those who conceal weapons with the intent to commit a crime.

Rio Arriba said...

Howdy--

My friend Hermit sent me over here.

I like what I see. If it's OK with you I'd like to link to your blog on mine. Go over there and make sure that's OK with you. (Linking to mine would be fine with me if the spirit moves you in that direction.)

Yours looks like a good place to drop into from time to time.

terri said...

I came by at Hermit's recommendation and have to say I'm glad I did. I enjoyed this post and am looking forward to reading more.

Papa Frank said...

I, also, stopped on by via Hermit's place. I'll be back to get the rest of this story.

GunRights4US said...

Y'all are more than welcome to link as the spirit moves you.

Thanks for the compliments. =)

Jan said...

Hey..any friend of Hermit's is a friend of mine!

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story of why you carry. :)