Friday

An excellent audio book I'm listening to

While shopping for something to read at a local bookstore, I stumbled this audio-book His Excellency: George Washington. It occurred to me that I was almost wholly ignorant of our nation's father, and decided to remedy the shortcoming. I bought it.

Thus far I am approximately halfway through the 13 disc set and I have been continually amazed at the things I am learning about the great man. For example I had always imagined that he had greatness thrust upon him, and that his roles as general and president were not offices he sought after. I come now to learn that George was an extremely ambitious man all his life.

Even his marriage to Martha Custis was done for political and economic reasons, even though they later grew to be very fond of each another. Had Martha not burned all their personal letters to one another after his death in 1799, we would undoubtedly know much more about their relationship.

It is also an indisputable fact that Washington was passionately in love with Sally Fairfax, the wife of his best friend! What a shocker eh? It would seem the Founders were human after all.


1 comment:

Western Mass. Man said...

Love him or hate him, G Becks' show on fridays are all about the founding fathers. I found them very interesting.
Just a thought.